Thursday, January 26, 2012

Preschool Lesson Plan: Families

When I taught the lesson on families, I actually had a completely different set of kids so I did the same activity with the service pillow I posted previously. So for what it's worth, the lesson looked like this:

Schedule:
9:30-9:45
Opening/Carpet Time:
-Welcome Song
-Prayer
-Pledge
-Music/Singing Time
-Rhymes
-Calendar
-Show & Tell

9:45-10:15 
Read: I'm a big brother now


Music Exploration: While using instruments sing songs about families: We are a happy family, Families can be together forever, I love you . . . you love me . . .


10:15-10:30
Play Time


10:30-10:45
Activity: Have each child make a service pillow. I made each child a small white throw pillow and let them decorate it with sharpie markers (they LOVED doing this). 
Once the pillows are made explain that when they do something to serve a family member, they can put the pillow on their bed. Then that family member will see the pillow on their bed and know someone did something nice for them. They will then do something nice for someone else and put the service pillow on their bed.
We then role played this idea. Lucy said something she could do to serve me was to give me a hug. She then gave me a hug and we all watched while she took her service pillow and put it on my bed. Then I took the pillow and had the students help me think of something nice to do for Lucy and I did what they said and then I said, "Now what should I do?" and they were all excited to inform me to put the service pillow on Lucy's bed! We then continued to practice as we put the pillow on different beds throughout my home.

Service: Students were challenged to take the pillows home, think of someone they could serve in their family and then put the service pillow on their bed.


10:45-11
Art: Making the pillows was art project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment