Sunday, August 2, 2009

Advice for the expecting . . .

[100_1174.jpg]
Good Tips:
-Keep asking them when you can get up and walk and do so ASAP after your delivery
-Get Newman's Cream for your nipples-it is an Rx, but sooooo worth it! Don’t leave the hospital w/o it!
-Buy an electric breast pump and plan to spend at least $150 or more or it won’t be worth your time. Medella is the best! Have this before the baby comes.
-Have “labor projects” both to help the time pass before the baby comes and while you are in labor but not ready to go to the hospital yet. Some of mine were: updating photo albums, printing journal pages from electronic journaling, making Christmas stockings, making soups, making bread, etc
-The week before your due-date up until s/he comes allow yourself 1 pampering a day (this was Marc’s wonderful idea). For example, 1 day I went to lunch with friends, another day I got a pedicure, another a massage, another day I got to buy myself something etc
-Use ice anywhere you are are hurting (I liked to put it on my incision from the c-section)

Have on Hand:
-Prune juice
-Stool softeners
-Ibuprofen
-Sanitary napkins
-Some of your favorite meals/snacks
-Desitin
-Nursing bras and garments

And here are a few things I had no idea about:
-The babies poop for the first day or so looks like liquid tar
-You may only weigh a pound or so less the first few days after the baby comes because you retain a lot of water. I was more swollen the first few days after Lucy was born than I ever was pregnant. But at my 2 week Doctor’s appointment I had lost 16 pounds-so don’t be alarmed.
-The first 6 weeks is hard! (personal experience)

No comments:

Post a Comment