Thursday, August 13, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent

If you're trying to pinch your pennies (Thanks Cheryl):

The basic recipe is:
1 Quart boiling water
1 1/2 bars of grated soap (He used Fels-Naptha. You can also use Ivory or other varities.)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda

Add the grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. Pour soap water into a large clean pail and add Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until it is all dissolved. Add 2 gallons of water and stir well again. Then we used empty laundry containers to store the detergent in.

We tried it on a few loads and it does the job. It's not super great, and I think we need to add a little extra washing soda and borax cause we have hard water. But, it calculates to only a penny a load! We'll see, it may be worth it. I think I still prefer my Tide, but at least it was fun to try it out!

1 comment:

  1. It was fun to try and make it, although I think Bob had more fun than I did! It was all his idea too. I enjoy reading your blog with the good ideas! That was a great idea to start something like this ;)

    ReplyDelete